fot

[Fot] Porting and Polishing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Porting and Polishing
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:59:39 -0600
   In  one  of uncle jack's minor hospital stays, to stave off boredom he
   wrote up a "brain dump" on building a wet sleeve Triumph TR motor.  It
   was intended for sharing purposes, so I'll do just that.  I'll post it
   on my website in a bit, but here's the Head section (hopefully I don't
   hit the message size limit):
   Also,  be very careful with the whole "port matching" deal - it's very
   easy  to  do  more  harm  than  good.   Jack and the flowbench found a
   zillion  things  that  obviously would improve flow that actually hurt
   flow  instead.  Unfortunately, I don't know all of the tricks.  Having
   a  little  step  in  there  is  better than having the intake manifold
   suddenly  go  to a larger diameter.  You cannot go more than 7 degrees
   from  a  "straight  tube" or the flow separates from the sides and you
   generate  turbulence  that  actually reduces the effective diameter of
   the  tube.  My head flows almost as good as the best one Jack did, and
   the  intake  ports  are  1  9/16"  at  the  outer face and I run stock
   diameter valves.
   - Tony Drews
   Head

   1.       Porting the head. I will tell you what to do to get about 80%
   of  the  flow improvement that a professional head flower (crazy term)
   will get.
   2.        Intake  Size the ports per Kass book, 1-1/2 all the way from
   the  manifold  face to the  valve guide. Take most of the metal off of
   the short side.  Remove the bump that is just inside the manifold face
   in  the  port,  adjacent  to  the head bolt hole.  Make the short side
   radius  just under the valve seat as smooth and consistent a radius as
   possible.   Leave the port just  under the valve seat a little smaller
   than  the  valve seat, so that when the machine shop puts in the three
   angle  competition  valve  seat,  you  get  the  full  effect  of  the
   velocity-inducing three angle seat.
   3.        Exhaust  -  with a long shank carbide cutter, remove the big
   bump  in  the  floor  of  the bowl where the guide comes through. When
   viewed  from  above, if you had  x-ray vision, you would see  that the
   path  of  the port is S-shaped,  Remove metal from the inside of the S
   closest to the valve.  Removing more does not do much for flow.
   4.       Here are the instructions to the machine shop:
   A.      Clean the head thoroughly. Replace the rear freeze plug.
   B.      If they accidentally put a head with aluminum pushrod tubes in
   a caustic tank, the tubes will disappear. Do not despair. It is really
   easy to replace them with > aluminum tubing
   C.       The aluminum plug on the top of the head may leak. It is in a
   threaded  hole,  and  after  removing, you can tap it to NPT and put a
   pipe plug in it.
   D.       Tell them how much to mill.  If they are a good shop, you can
   just  tell  them the ccs you want in a combustion chamber and they can
   mill  to  that.  It is risky to take off more than .165 from the stock
   head thickness of 3.xxx.
   E.        Install guides if you are using the bronze guides, they MUST
   have  .004  stem  clearance.   The  shops take some convincing, but if
   clearance  is less in these old engines, the heat will cause the guide
   to  shrink  and  the  valve  to  stick,  perhaps destroying the entire
   engine.
   F.        When  you  get  the  head  back, put a small bead of JB Weld
   around  the edge of the rear freeze plug. Also chamfer the edge of the
   combustion  chamber  to  remove  the  hot  spot  corner created by the
   milling operation.
   G.      Tell  the  machine  shop the amount of lift of the valves, and
   have them machine the valve guide accordingly.