fot

[Fot] detroit locker

To: FOT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] detroit locker
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:34:52 -1000
If only pushing around the paddock was all of it. Welding the rear end
certainly makes a Southwick axle almost mandatory--lots of added
stress in the axles. Also makes it hard to be fast, since you have to
drive around the negative handling characteristics. I know, I know,
you guys with welded diffs are going to say they are just wonderful
for handling, that's why all the modern race cars use them ;) .
Personally, I like to be able to get off the gas when I want to, not
when the car will permit it.

A locker is a close second on stress in the axles--might even surpass
it when it first locks, properly set up LSD is third, quaife fourth,
and open diff is easiest on the axles.

As far as uprated axles go, they, plus uprated hubs, will make the
axles last longer. But when they break, you still go for a ride. If
your car is light enough, and you drive precisely enough, and your
rear end gentle enough, and your tires slippery enough, then you might
never need a southwick, but you still should crack check everything at
least every other year.