fot

[Fot] GT6 questions

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] GT6 questions
From: George Harmuth <harmug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:14:58 -0400
I have a few questions about my street only GT6. It's a fairly recent
purchase, I was a Spitfire guy before this and I'm noticing some
differences in the way it handles. The car seems to get light at speed. The
front end is higher than my Spits but from the pictures I've seen of other
street GT6s, this seems to be normal. I thought this was done on purpose,
possibly  to counteract the higher weight of the engine, moving some of the
weight to the back. It seems to allow too much air under the car, I like to
drop the front down an inch or so by a combination of adjustable perch
(Spax or Koni) shocks and shorter, stiffer springs.

The current compressed spring length is 8.5 or 9", depending on if I
measure from the base of the spring retainer or the insides of it. I'm
running 7.5" on my street spits. I have a  number of springs in different
sizes I've collected over the years for the spits that are possible
candidates. I'm sure this has been done before, any recommendations for
spring rates or lengths? Any alternative ideas, caveats?

Second question is on exhaust systems. The car has a custom exhaust, stock
cast iron manifold but it splits to 1.75" dual pipes at the diff and has a
pair of 12" straight pipes for the mufflers. The guy I bought it from was
an old Triumph motorcycle dealer and I suspect the pipes are from a bike. I
like a loud car, but this is louder than my race car and it getting
annoying. I'd like to upgrade but I don't see many options. Stock,
Pacesetter (Monza) or Bell dual setup seem to be the only package options.
I've found a set of mufflers that have roughly the same size and diameter
of the current pipes but I need to rig up a mounting system to because they
weigh more than the current little pipes. I'm leaning towards the Bell
sport system from SpitBits but I'd like some feedback from the collective
wisdom here. I'm not trying to keep the car original but I do want to keep
it period correct if possible. No coffee can mufflers like a kids Honda
Civic if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance

mike

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/harmug/GT6/P3150003.jpg