fot

Re: [Fot] was Detroit Locker now TR axle breaking.

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] was Detroit Locker now TR axle breaking.
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:21:17 -0500
I have essentially a Ford 8" rear end in my car (was done well before
the Southwick conversion was developed).  It fits better than a 9"
would.  The stock axle has a pretty small pumpkin.  Not as many gear
ratios available as for the 9", but the available ratios line up
pretty closely with the stock Triumph ratios - 3.7, 4.11, 4.56.  Much
easier to replace ring and pinion than on the stock rear axle.  It's
still HEAVY though.  Without driver in the car and with half a tank
of gas my corner weights are with 5 lbs of each other, but my car's
overall weight is 200 lbs heavier than Jack's car was (2150 lbs vs
1950 lbs).  I think the rear axle accounts for about 100 lbs of the
difference.  I could replace the diff carrier with an aluminum one
and save maybe 10 to 15 lbs (and lighten my wallet to boot!).

Also, Detroit Lockers are plentiful for these axles.  The axles used
in the Southwick conversion are cut down Ford 8" axles, so that
design is certainly appropriate.

There's a lot of detail bits that go into installing an alternate
rear axle (altered drive shaft, figuring out brake routing / bias,
attachment to rear springs immediately come to mind), so I'm not sure
if you save money over a Southwick conversion.  You need to make sure
to source one with DRUM brakes if you don't want to be bumped to the
"cheatin dog" groups.

- Tony