fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 Interior now lakes pipes

To: triumph club club <Fot@Autox.Team.Net>, dick ross
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 Interior now lakes pipes
From: tom strange <tstrange@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:10:41 -0700 (PDT)
Okay,
  Since I got drug into this ... street racing in the 60's some cars had lakes
pipes, most functional, and most of them hot rods.  T-bucket types ran them as
exhaust, open and mufflers installed inside them to keep the cops at bay, but
still loud.
  The ones of us that ran $100 a gear 1/4 mile runs on the back roads, pretty
much did not want to draw that much attention so we simply had easily opened
(& illegal) cutouts behind the front wheels that could be opened with 3 or 4
small bolts.  The cutouts sold with a remote control and a throttle plate type
setup, were not desirable, as they were not dependable and provided
restriction where you did not want it.

  Now for my car ...  not Lakes pipes ... for one, there is only one of them
...  when I get a V8 in a spit, you will see 2 of them ... Its fully
functional and the end pipe required by regs to exit exhaust behind the
driver.  It points exhaust down and away from sound meters, and is the result
of a designed, tuned exhaust ....
  Lakes pipes rarely ever fell into the tuned exhaust catagory, as we mostly
just wanted to look and sound good with the cars we ran them on in the 60's

  All that said, they were "cool" on the right cars .... non-functional and
"stupid" on the wrong cars  .... and very "Bid Daddy Roth ish" on many show
cars that didnt have to go anywhere ...

jm2cw

Bottom line ... I dont consider my exhaust to be a Lakes pipe ..  :>)

Tom

http://www.fot-racing.com/spit/caption/tom_strange.htm

#4 white spitfire