fot

Re: [Fot] Harmonic Dampener Question... now studs

To: malaboge@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Harmonic Dampener Question... now studs
From: robert bownes <bownes@seiri.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:43:22 -0400
Ah. Been through this. I ended up shimming the rocker pedestals and
shortening the pushrods.

Going to try to 'undo' this sometime this summer and put a thicker
head back on as the compression was just too much for the stock
pistons to take without regularly breaking rings.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM,  <malaboge@aol.com> wrote:
> Head mechanic-
>
> Couple things to think about...
> Be sure that the threads of the studs extend down into the hole in the
head...ya don't wanna torque the nuts down and find out that they're just
bottomed on the stud and not squeezin the head down!
> Shimmin the rockers will change the geometry betwixt valve and rocker...if
you've cut the head that much, you've probably shortened the pushrods to get
the correct geometry.? If not you need to do that and shimming the rockers may
be a step in the right direction for that issue.? If the geometry is already
set, just pull the offending studs one at a time and shorten the tops for the
needed clearance...shouldn't affect the head gasket seal.

> Often off my rocker myself...
> Nick in Nor Cal

think. Yes, that is not a misprint. I cc'd the head and the combustion
chambers are 36cc's pretty much what I was looking for 11.9xx:1 +/-?
> ?
> But the head is so freakin' "thin" that the studs are interfering with the
rocker pedestals. UGH.?
> ?
> So here's the next question: could someone please provide me with the
dimensions of the ARP head studs for TR6 / GT6? Especially, the difference in
the length of the ARP studs to the stock pieces. I'm trying to determine if I
should bite the bullet and install a set of those or if I should just shim the
pedestals to get another .020" or clearance (I'm 99% sure that's all I need.?
> ?
> Of course I already installed the head gasket and torqued the head, so toss
in a new head gasket (I presume) for good measure. Unless someone can convince
me otherwise.?