fot

Re: [Fot] Radiator Caps

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>,<fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Radiator Caps
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 09:03:36 -0500
Your assessment is correct.  The lower seal and the little button in
the middle are what hold all of the cooling system pressure.  The 2nd
thing to look at is how deep the well that the rad cap fits into
is.  Older british cars seem to have a deeper well than is common
now, causing the lower part of the radiator cap to not seal against
anything causing zero pressure in the cooling system.  Someone
(probably Moss or TRF) sells the caps with the longer actuating
mechanism.  I've seen that problem on 2 or 3 different cars with
inexplicable cooling problems.  The first one took a LONG time to
diagnose, but after I was aware of that potential issue the others I
was LOOKING for that problem.

If you have a rad cap with an overflow in the header tank, you could
plug up the overflow from the radiator.  I think you should have only
one pressure relief / overflow in the cooling system.

- Tony