fot

Re: [Fot] Race tire poll

To: Bob Adams <adams910@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Race tire poll
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:41:38 -0700
Yeah, then I've seen the Street TDs and thought they looked pretty
good, Tony Garmey had a set on the Corvette last weekend that I was
lusting after. Too bad they don't make a 15.

I'm sure the weight makes a big difference with the Speedsters. I've
never seen such a sensitive tire, even the slicks on my Radical were
more forgiving. At roughly 18 pounds cold / 20 hot  on Peyote they
give very even temps across the face but are .5 to 1 second slow. At
19/21 they pick up the second and are a little hotter on the inside
edge and middle, at 20/23 they lose a second and are hot in the middle.

Once they heat cycle out they become completely stable and will last
forever on Peyote but they are two to three seconds slow. When I
decide I need those three seconds they cost me $800 bucks.

Incidentally, temperatures and pressures at the end of a session are
all but worthless unless you're getting the reading at the pit wall.
And you need to pick your track to get the best results. PIR for
example, has a long back straight, then two relatively short turns
that put almost no heat into the tire. So readings at PIR are
worthless for camber because the outside edge gets too much cooling.
Pacific Raceway has a right,left, right combination followed by a
short climbing straight, a left and then a carousel called Big Indy--
good for camber checks. Even better is a skid pad.