fot

[Fot] Con Rod Bearing clearance

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Con Rod Bearing clearance
From: steve <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:37:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
I am getting ready to install my newly assembled TR3 motor into my car.
Because of a bearing failure at my last event, I thought it would be wise to
check the rod bearings with plastigage.
I put the motor back on the stand, pulled the pan and checked the rod bearing
clearance.  Here are the results:  0015,  .00175  .0020, .0015 (in order).
I thought we were looking for close to .003.  I have read from other posts that
Plastigage is not accurate.

This crank is not new.  In fact, it has been racing for 25 years. It is .010
under, and magged OK. The journals have been freshly polished.  Also, this
crank has been mated to the same set of Carillo rods for as many years.
Perhaps these tri-metal bearings from BPNW may be different from the old ones.
I don't know because I didn't plastigage the old bearings before trashing them.

I am thinking about getting a set of ACL bearings and seeing if the plastigage
results are different.  Also, I could take the assembled motor to the machine
shop and they can re-measure everything there without taking it all apart.

Advice?

~Steve