fot

[Fot] Milwaukee Mile...

To: fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: [Fot] Milwaukee Mile...
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:25:09 EDT
Amici...

Bob Wismer ran his Lola S2 in a Midwestern Council event at the Milwaukee
Mile yesterday.  My grandson Matt and I crewed for him.  While I've lived in
the Milwaukee area all of my life, and attended Champ car races at the Mile
on occasion, I've never raced the road course circuit there.  An interesting
circuit claiming ten turns, but one could argue about that.  It's mostly
four flat, parallel straights and the turns that get you to them.  They had a
vintage session.  Scott and Jerry Barr ran Scott's Spitfire.  It was good to
see Jerry in the driver's seat.  He's had his helmet on the shelf for a
spell while he mended from some foot surgery.  Son Scott wrenched at this
event.  The car looked great and sounded very strong on the straights.  They'll
switch positions at ROAD AMERICA next weekend for the Elkhart Lake Vintage
Festival.

There was a sad incident in the first practice session of the day when
Glade Snodgrass' Spitfire took a very hard hit to the wall.  Glade is a great
racer and he goes FAST.  But a Datsun 510 had an oil filter O ring fail, thus
messing up turn 9 at the end of the front straight for those that followed.
It got very exciting soon thereafter.  I am sure there are lots of parts to
salvage from the car, but like I said, it was a very hard hit, and the
Spitfire showed it.  As they say, "It could've been worse."  And thankfully
Glade was sore, but fine.

Bill Dentinger