fot

[Fot] Kastner Cup at the CRC

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Kastner Cup at the CRC
From: chasgee@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 02:46:10 -0400
All,

As you can tell by the comments, we all had a great time at the CRC.?When we
arrived on Friday, the skies were clear and everything looked great.?When we
woke up Saturday, the sky was dark and it was raining.?Being from Southern
California this was a unique experience, especially on the track. It took me a
whole lap and a half to put my car into the wall.? I wasn't doing anything
crazy at the time, just lack of wet weather driving experience.? Fortunately, I
just damaged sheet metal but the car looked terrible.? Thanks to my fantastic
group of friends, we managed to pull everything fairly straight to where the
car looked almost presentable.? I happened to bring both blue and silver spray
paint and found a new tail light at the british car swapmeet.? It dried out
Saturday afternoon and I got some confidence back, but I still took it easy,
especially near the place I lost it.

After avoiding the wet?session Sunday morning, I was excited to see that it was
dry when we went to pregrid for the Kastner Cup race.?It started raining at
about the 2 minute mark on grid.?I took it careful and slow during that race
and was lapped twice by the leaders.?I figured that was better than the
alternative, so I?swallowed my pride and was way off pace.? It dried out for
the late session and I managed to work my way from the back to 7th.

Monday started off dry, but turned wet again about half way through. I managed
to?hold my 7th place, but that pesky Herald?got by me. It dried out again for
the last race and managed a?3rd place. A good way to finish.

I met a lot?of great FOTers, including Bill Babcock (great party Bill!) and Jim
Norlin.?Both of these guys are fantastic.?If either of you ever come down this
way please look me up.?

Thanks again to my friends who helped fix my car.?I wouldn't have enjoyed the
weeked as much without you.

Thanks also to Allen and Aleta Weins?for their hospitality and for loaning my a
clutch and transmission out of his wrecked car.?Too bad about his car, it was
much worse than mine.

Congrats to Mordy for the Kastner Cup. A very deserving recipient!

Chuck