fot

Re: [Fot] Unusual TR-3

To: "'WILLIAM TOBIN'" <william.tobin3@verizon.net>, <rikrock@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Unusual TR-3
From: "Norlin Engineering" <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 08:58:50 -0700
The "field cars" comment brought back some memories of Ireland.  A few years
ago, my wife and I were visiting Ireland and spotted a notice in the window
of a grocery store that said "Autograss Racing this Sunday" and gave the
location.  We thought it said autocross racing, so when we went to find the
track that Sunday we were not sure what we were in for.

Sure enough, it was an oval plowed out of a working pasture.  Had to drive
the rental car through disinfectant because of the hoof and mouth disease
that year.  First thing we heard when we opened the car door was the mother
in the car next to us hollering at her kids "I told you to watch where you
were walking!".

Anyway it was a great event.  60-80 cars from small sedans to rear engined
buggys made from front engined cars.  They all had heavy metal mesh instead
of a windshield since the track had millions of rocks the size of your fist
in the dirt surface.  The heats were only about 5 laps long and the
announcer sounded like he was calling a horse race - couldn't understand a
thing he said.  Spectators were held back about 50 ft from the main straight
by a rope.  Grassroots racing at it's finest.

Jim Norlin