fot

Re: [Fot] TR transmission bushing I.D. and O.D.

To: "FOT" <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR transmission bushing I.D. and O.D.
From: "Bob Kramer" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:16:03 -0500
Thanks to Bob Lang, Randall and Dean Tetterton for their input. I got home
tonight and finished tearing the gearbox down. What I though looked like a
nice set of gears had 2 problems. The bronze top hat bushing was broken
(answering the question why it didn't want to shift down) and the forward
countershaft busing was galling the countershaft. This is particularly
"galling" to me since I spent time making sure the bearing all rolled,
cleaning out the rollers and WD40 them until they rolled freely.

The advice I got included the fact the TRF bronze top hats are too tight and
need to be opened up. Mine was from TRF. Other advice was that the mainshaft
gets galled from metal particles rubbing between the bushings and mainshaft.
This happens when gearboxes fail, like failing galled countereshafts.
Although I remember cleaning and polishing the shaft, it doesn't look
perfect anymore. This would indicate that the bushings were not freely
spinning on the shaft. The gears all spin on the bushings.

Lesson learned. I didn't think the bushings needed much clearance when
placed on the shaft. I made them just loose enough to push them on. I don't
know if this cause the top hat failure or it was just one of those things,
but I think a careful rebuild will fix it.

Thanks Bob, Dean amd Randall.

Bob Kramer
Volente, TX

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch
excellence.
Vince Lombardi