fot

Re: [Fot] jack stands

To: RACER BUD <budscars@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] jack stands
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 18:15:33 -0700
I'd trust those stands over a hell of a lot of the other stands and
odd-non-stand-objects I have used over the years to secure a car.

Besides, I've always made it a habit of putting other items under the
car to support it if a stand failed... i.e. a floor jack (jacked up just
shy of the frame)... big ol' tires and rims from a 4x4... etc. etc.

And I've always made a habit of giving a car on stands a good little
hand-made california tremor... as a test... before I put my body under it.

In all these years, the only jack-stand screw up I've ever had... was...
at 16... lowering my just-garage-painted-and-restored TR4A all the way
to the ground just as I noticed that when I had pulled out the
jackstands, I had accidentally left one perfectly centered and directly
under the front valance.

I never repaired that valance.   One really couldn't see the crumple
zone behind the front license place.  (I wonder if whoever owns that car
now ever fixed it?)

On my current TR4A, that I bought in the 90's, the front valance was
damaged and I replaced it with a TR250 valance so that I would get
similar extra cooling from the vent that the earlier car's crumple zone
provided.  : )

--Justin