fot

[Fot] Solved TR4 H6 starting

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Solved TR4 H6 starting
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:12:20 -0500
We were running the fuel bowls dry by shutting off the fuel pump on shut
down to try and solve the starting problem, which was the engine loading up
with fuel.  I think this caused the problem because when the fuel pump was
turned on a spurt of gas would shoot out of the jets.  The inlets on the
bowl covers are directly above the outlet from the bowl into the jet.  Until
the float rises in the empty bowl to shut off the flow we get that spurt of
gas causing a really rich mixture and the loading up.

                I just did a normal shut down of fuel off, ignition off.  On
startup I made sure to get the revs up to 2000 -2500 until the EGT's got
above 900.  I did about 6 test starts over the weekend, a couple after
sitting the car out in the sun (high 80's temperature) and had no problem.
I just have to wait about 30 - 40 seconds for the engine to warm up a bit
and everything is okay to go after that.  A nice idle at around 1500 - 1700.

                Thanks to all of the suggestions.  I'm still going to check
some of the other things mentioned but I think the basic problem was
starting on empty float bowls.  In trying to solve the problem when we had
sinking floats I caused the hard starting problem.

Tim and Ryan Murphy

1961 TR4 #317
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com