fot

Re: [Fot] Don Stanford: The Red Car/ interesting period books and

To: "''Friends of Triumph' Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Don Stanford: The Red Car/ interesting period books and
From: "Jim Gambony" <jgambony@gcecisp.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 22:17:29 -0500
Not to hijack Justin's idea but to augment it... ;)

Curious to see what other books FOT members read in their formative years.
I liked the John Tomerlin pair, "The Magnificent Jalopy" and his follow up
"The Nothing Special".   The first concerns a trio of high school seniors in
the mid-60s finding a '30s Packard in a chicken coop and with minimal prep
work going on a 1000 mile road rally from south California up to Oregon.
The second book is the story of their buying a Panhard based sports racer
and running at Riverside.   Things like "taking a cotton jacket and
fireproofing it" are just so quaint compared to what racers go through these
days.  Gives a better appreciation on how the sport (and safety) have
evolved in the past 50 years.

As to a Father's day story.. My father wasn't into racing as such but he did
not believe in speed limits as an absolute.  In the summer of '81 we went
from central NJ to Iowa, partly to visit family and partly for him to sell
me on going to Iowa State (didn't work, I'd been stuck in a snow drift for
half a day visiting family when I was 6).   At the beginning of the trip
he'd said "it's a long trip, don't worry too much about the speed limit".
Somewhere in mid-PA while he was napping I'd opened up the diesel Cadillac
Coupe DeVille and buried the speedometer needle well past the 85mph mark.
My father woke and realized we were a bit above the speedlimit.  In a total
show of control, he merely looked over and said "get the needle back".

And he did pay for my 76 in a 55 ticket in Iowa.

Happy Fathers day, Dad.

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas