fot

Re: [Fot] chevy con-rods

To: "Mark Pendergrass" <mpendy@dishmail.net>,fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] chevy con-rods
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 09:41:49 -0500
Here's what I was able to find on the chevy rods -

Message from Jack in 2007:

I continue to work on lower cost rods for our TR's. I need an
indication of the level of interest in the Triumph community for this
project. if I can get about five customers, the project is a "go".
Here's what I have come up with so far:

Four aftermarket Chevy rods, pins, clips, and spacers for $500

Here's how this works:

The rods are the right length so TR pistons can be used.
The crank must be turned a few thousandths to accept the Chevy rod bearing.
The rods would be modified by my machine shop so the upper end is the
right diameter for the stock TR pin.
Two spacers for each piston would be included.

These rods are 50 grams lighter than the Carillos so theoretically
they give a significant acceleration advantage.
They are made by Probe, a supplier to the V8 racing community.

These rods are narrower than the TR rod, so they leave a gap on each
side of the rod down on the crank journal. The rods are guided by the
piston, with a high strength aluminum spacer on each side of the
upper end of the rod.This is not a problem for the lubrication
system. it just requires one more turn on the pressure adjusting
screw to take care of additional flow at high rpm.

The crank journals must be ground by a few thousandsths. Then you use
.020 undersize Chevy bearings which are quite a bit lower in cost.
Grinding it undersize is no problem for future grinds because these
Chevy bearings are made in undersizes down to .060 undersize.

uncle jack
<end message>

Unfortunately, he didn't include info on which rods he was
using.  Stock rods are 6.125" bore to bore.  I suspect that it's
something like this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Eagle/356/CRS6250B3D/10002/-1?parentProductId=744628

The crank diameter is pretty much right with that rod - the crank
journal specified in the text is 2.100", and ours is 2.086 when not
undersized.  Grind 6 thou off and you can use the bearings as specified above.

I believe that there was a minor mod to the rods to allow them to
pass through an 87mm liner.  Piston spacers were made from 6160 aluminum.

- Tony Drews