fot

Re: [Fot] u-joint alignment?

To: "Scott Janzen" <s.janzen@comcast.net>, "'Friends of Triumph'
Subject: Re: [Fot] u-joint alignment?
From: "Richard Good" <goodparts@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 07:29:26 -0400
Scott,

The yokes on each end should be aligned so that if you stuck a shaft through
each yoke, they would be parallel.   The alignment is critical so the
velocity oscillations cancel out.  The greater the operating angle, the
greater the oscillations to be cancelled.  Also, the axis of the driving and
driven shafts must be parallel for full cancellation.  In the case of our
axle shafts, this only happens with zero toe and zero camber so most of the
time we have some nasty efficiency loss from the axles trying to accelerate
and decelerate the wheel twice each revolution.  Given all that, I am not
sure you would notice any difference with the half shaft yokes being off
5-10 degrees but it would certainly be better if they were aligned properly.
If it was on the driveshaft I would guess you would notice some vibration.

Richard Good
Good Parts