fot

Re: [Fot] KASTNER CUP Now Those darn bathtubs

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] KASTNER CUP Now Those darn bathtubs
From: "Terry Stetler" <tlizzard@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:08:59 -0400
"Leveling the playing field" is what SCCA has tried to do for years in the
"production" classes.  We all can pretty much see the mess that has become.

Not every car type can be competitive.  It's just a simple fact. Nor can there
be a class for every make, so that they can all be winners.

The Porsche 356 is a very sophisticated car compared to our British
locomotives.  But then, they did cost twice as much when new.  And they are
not perfect by any means.  They are fairly RPM limited (about 5800 according
to Vic) because of their weak cranks and fragile engine cases.  Also, they are
tricky to drive on the limit because of their rear engine/swing axle rear
suspension set up.  They take a masterful set up, and a delicate hand to go
fast in.

Going fast on the track, no matter the car, is an alchemy of the driver and
the builder playing to the strengths of the design that they have, and
minimizing as much as possible the weaknesses of that design, within the grey
edges of the rule book.

We all play by the same rules.  Some cars are just better platforms than
others.  It has always been this way and always will.

Too much rules tweaking to gain advantage will lead to the death of the sport.
It has very nearly killed SCCA production car racing.

Remember folks, we are not racing for a National Championship in vintage
racing.  All we get is the satisfaction of competing, and if we are lucky, and
have prepared well, a pot metal car on a stick at the end of the weekend.

It's about being here.  That is the true reward.

Terry Stetler
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html