fot

[Fot] Last minute rebuild before Topeka

To: Triumph Friends of <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Last minute rebuild before Topeka
From: Jim Gray <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:46:04 -0600
Greetings FoT
The worst case scenario has happened. I raced ppir two weeks ago and
my head gasket blew. I caught it pretty quick and inspection of the
rod & main bearings
Showed no damage to the crank. The bearings were just beginning to
score. The nitriding had paid off.
Unfortunately when I tore the motor down I found all the pistons badly
damaged an two of the liners are toast.
Further investigation showed the small ends of the rods
Turned blue & red. They were new forged rods and the shop that
balanced the rotating assembly sized them for the
Wrist pins, I didn't ask what they were sized to.
As it is the evidence points to the wrist pins siezing up and putting
unusual forces on the pistons thus taking out the pistons & liners.
The holes in the pistons for the wrist pins were beginning to oval. So
my qestion is, what should be considered a racing tollerence for the
small end bearing?
Thanks for any input.
Jim g

Sent from my iPhone