fot

[Fot] Race Report - SCCA Vintage Thuderhill Sept. 11 & 12

To: FoT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Race Report - SCCA Vintage Thuderhill Sept. 11 & 12
From: Tim Pettenati <tpettenati@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:02:36 -0700 (PDT)
This was our first real race weekend since buying the car back in Feb. I'd
done
an auto-X and my wife ran a CSRG test day, but we were now ready to take
it up a
notch. We were a bit hesitant at first since SCCA vintage has a bit
of a crash &
bash reputation compared to the other vintage groups in our
area. We spoke with
the Vintage Chief who assured us the small bore group
were a clean and safe
bunch to run with. My wife realized she needed one more
SCCA event to complete
her comp license requirements, so it was now or never.
Weather was great all weekend and the car ran without issue. Small bore was
suppose to be 18 cars, but due to the lack of entries they combined the 2.5L
TA
group in with group 1. So it would be 25 cars at most. Due to a bit more
group
shuffling we ended up with three run groups instead of 5. Maybe not so
good for
SCCA but great for us - lots of track time and a very relaxed
schedule with a
practice, qualify and race each day. Results were 14th out of
20 on Saturday and
15th of 16 on Sunday. Her lap times kept getting better as
she gained confidence
and familiarity with the car, and by the end of the
weekend was faster than she
had ever been in a Spec Miata.
Photos can be
found at http://cwk-photo.appspot.com/start#SFR-20100912
There were two
other Triumphs in our group. The finely prepped Spitfire #43 of
Tom Turner's
- last spotted at the Monterey Reunion, and Scott A'Dair's very
nice TR-250
#55.
Next event - CSRG Season Finale, Oct. 29 - 31.
Cheers,
Tim
Pettenati
Spitfire #44