fot

[Fot] Sebring race weekend results

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Sebring race weekend results
From: Jamie Palmer <tr6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:45:43 -0700 (PDT)
I have seen others reporting on their Triumph race weekends, so as team
manager
for RiffRAF Racing (ChumpCar World Series, '75 TR6), I will also.

put it mildly, it was a frustrating weekend.  By the time the checkered flag
fell at 9 pm Saturday after 11-1/2 hours, we had replaced and/or rebuilt the
following:
        * distributor
        * alternator (twice)
        * fan belt
        * cap and wires
(twice)
        * rotor button (twice)
        * front carb jet and reset float
        * fuel pump
* exhaust system central mount
On the bright side, we did get to race at
Sebring, and would have been somewhat
competitive had we been able to keep
the car running.  So much for thinking we
had it prepped adequately.  Next
race we will do better.

MyLaps results here:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=599902

Pictures of event
(pretty easy to find us, we're the only Triumph, look for the
camo #0) here:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=599902 (pics
42-51, 216-217,
247---217 is really cool!)

Finished 24th out of 34 cars, but were one of
only 15 that took the checkered
flag.

As a side note...what is the
group's opinion on electric fuel pumps vs.
mechanical in racing
applications.  Some on our team are concerned about
electric pump reliability
while others don't feel the mechanical pump is capable
of sustained high RPM
operation for hours at a time (I personally witnessed fuel
boiling (!) in the
mechanical fuel pump we are using and we melted the nylon
filter screen in
the aftermarket mechanical pump we had).  Interested in the
group's thoughts.

Thanks,

Jamie Palmer
RiffRAF Racing