fot

Re: [Fot] Crank--Rear Main / Scroll

To: Dan Cronin <adcronin@mi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crank--Rear Main / Scroll
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:09:11 -0400
On 10/4/2010 2:02 PM, Dan Cronin wrote:
> Listers
> Some time back in mid 07 I purchased a Crower E4340 Billet Steel Crank for my
> TR motor build which I am just now getting around to......had the rear lip
> milled to the 63.5mm (2.5") that was the collective thought (manual and
> instructions for the improved rear main lip oil seal) and now find that most
> think this was in error!  Am I right that now the proper size for the seal is
> 71.57mm (2.8"), and if so what is one to do if he has the "old" dim.?  Can the
> journal be built up by hard chroming and them re-milled to size?  What other
> options can you think of that would permit successful use of the 2.5" scroll
> with the lip seal? What have others done to surmount this problem?
> Thanks, Dan C.

Dan, on one of the rare occasions when I actually read instructions, I
had my crank cut to 2.500".  Before I reassembled the engine I learned
about the leaking seal problem, so shortened the spring (per Jack's
guidance) to 8.25".  I didn't trim the seal split ends, but will this
winter when the engine comes out again.  Damn damn damn.  This time I'll
shorten the spring to 8.0 and trim the split per Tony's guidance.

hth

jim

--
Jim Hassall