fot

Re: [Fot] spit 1500 heads

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] spit 1500 heads
From: "Robert MacKenzie" <list@mackenzie.aero>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:01:40 -0500
Art:
If I am not mistaken, the dished pistons were used to lower the CR for the
US spec cars.  The thickness of the head casting remained the same.
Flat-top pistons are a must if you want to get anything above 9:1 CR.

Here are a couple of good links with useful information:

http://auskellian.com/paul/links_files/performance_enhancements.htm#Port_and
_Polish_and_Flow_the_Head
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spitheads.htm

Use this xl spreadsheet to calculate how much you want/need to take off.
(if anybody else need a copy send me an e-mail and I will shoot you a copy)

I recently built a 1500 for street/autocross use.  It worked out so well I
am building it again, but that is another story...

On my head I took off .125 to with an early 1500 block using stock flat top
pistons for a just under 9:1 CR

I also had John at Costa Mesa R&D install modified TR7 valves and beehive
springs to the max allowable diameters as per the SCCA Solo GP specs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLlY0sTYYBY  (I think John can put these
springs on any other TR engine as well - shameless plug for a good friend)

As for cams; on my auto-X motor I used Ted S's 275-4 cam and it is great.
(Another shameless plug)

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Robert MacKenzie
President, Hill Country Triumph Club
Austin Texas
'79 1500 (street)