fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 continued race motor problems spun # 2 rod bearing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 continued race motor problems spun # 2 rod bearing
From: EDENMA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:06:04 EDT
Mike:

We (my son was driving the car at drivers school) spun my #2 rod  bearing
exactly the same way in our first outing this year.  Car was  running well
Friday and Saturday, Sunday morning as I was preparing the car for  the first
session I noticed a very slight oil sheen in the top of the  radiator while
checking fluid levels.  Checked the dipstick,  capture tank, and popped the
valve cover off to check for any evidence of  water.  Finding none, I sent
him out with the idea I would re-torque  the head as a precaution when he
returned.  Needless to say the car  didn't finish the session.

It appears, in our case, that the #2 bearing spun, allowing the piston to
slightly tap the head causing it to break the seal on the steel shim head
gasket.  On the next down stroke it sucked a slug of water and on the
upstroke compressed the water and blew out the side of the liner

What I don't know is whether the bearing spun (1) due water  contamination
in the oil, (2) lack of lubrication to the # 2 rod  bearing for some reason,
or (3) faulty bearing(s).

I too, was running a non-hardened stock crank, Carrillo  rods, and
Tri-metal bearings which I had purchased from BPNW.  Same  engine block with
different crank suffered the same #2 rod  bearing failure by previous owner.
Same
rod from previous  failure had been reconditioned by Carrillo, pronounced
good and  reused.  Block had been line bored and cleaned prior to  reassembly.

On tear down remaining bearings (Main and rod) showed either no damage  or
slight evidence on galling (probably due to water contamination of oil
after the failure).  #2 rod bearing was completely wiped out.   Surprisingly
little (but enough) damage was done to the crank  journal.  Cam bearings looked
perfect.  No other damage was  noted.  There was no blueing of the crank or
any other indication that the  bearing/journal was running hot.

I am about to begin building two new engines this winter. I'm curious  to
know what bearings you used in your engine, and more  importantly, anything
else you may have noticed during both teardowns  regardless of whether you
think it was a factor in the failure or not.

Cheers!

Mark A. Eden
62 DP TR4 #357
64 HP Spitfire #42