fot

Re: [Fot] Re TR4-6 steering arm differences

To: "Enquiries Road & Track" <enquiries@roadandtrack.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Re TR4-6 steering arm differences
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:02:01 -0700
Nice article, very useful.

On a TR3 the width of the upper pivots is about 432mm and the lower pivot is
585mm, so you can see the challenge of fitting a Triumph rack when the
narrowest is 650mm. For the street car I'm building I did indeed use a TR4
rack--at least I assume it is, I bought the kit from Moss. I roughly measured
it, it looks to be 650 mm wide and is 2.5 turns lock to lock. I anticipate
doing a bunch of fiddling to minimize bump steer. I considered shortening the
rack, but I figured I'd play with it a while before I take that step.

I don't recall the width of Peyote's rack, but it's quite a bit narrower than
the TR4. At the height I have it installed in Peyote (roughly midpoint between
the upper and lower arms) it's pretty close to being in line with a line drawn
through the upper and lower inner pivots. Pat Starr installed it initially,
but I changed the mounting height and had it narrowed a little further in my
efforts to eliminate bump steer. As I recall I had an inch taken off both
ends. I didn't dare go much further. I also had flat steering arms made. As it
turns out it has some positive ackerman though I wasn't paying much attention
to that when I was fiddling.