fot

Re: [Fot] 50th ANNIVERSARY OF TRIUMPH MAGAZINES AVAILABLE

To: n197tr4@cs.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] 50th ANNIVERSARY OF TRIUMPH MAGAZINES AVAILABLE
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:55:51 EDT
Joe....

I'm a VTR member back to the late 1970s, and ''I've saved that issue.

A great event that will always be near the top of my list is the 1992
Mid-Ohio event, when there was that incredible turnout of street Triumphs.
They
were given an all-Triumph tour of the track and I remember they were bumper
to bumper, often two abreast, all the way around the circuit.  I don't know
how many were there, but it seemed like millions.

Another neat collector item important to Triumph folk was a subsequent
issue of Road & Track that included Peter Egan's article that started out, "I
guess I knew that there were that many TRIUMPHS, but who'd have thought they'd
all show up..."   And they DID!  Seems like the ALL showed up.

Kas missed that event.  If I remember correctly, he was killing Porsche
race cars up at Limerock that week end.  Later that year I took my panorama
photograph of all of the vintage race cars from the event up to Road America
for him to autograph.  It was an IMSA practice day, and Kas and I sat at a
table in his paddock and he told me stories about all of the models.  A quirk
to the story was that the only other person in the paddock at the time was
super hot shoe, Geoff Brabham, who was sitting over in the corner by himself.
I remember a quizzical look on his face that seemed to say, "What the
hell's that all about."

Bill Dentinger
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com