fot

[Fot] Ignition issues

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Ignition issues
From: "Greg & Alison Blake" <ablake2@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:08:08 -0500
First off let me thank the folks that provided good feedback to my question
regarding the car not wanting to rev.  I am in the diagnostic phase and this
is what I have found so far:

As a recap, I am running the Mallory dual point.  Fresh points, rotor,
condenser (grounded), and cap.

The total dwell at 1100 rpm it is 40 and at 3500+ rpm it is 45. I assume
that dwell should not change over the rpm range and this condition is
indicative that something is wrong. I removed the cap and rotor and I can
move the top of the shaft far enough back and forth (side to side) to cause
the points to open and close. This distributor has 6 race weekends on it.

Could the shaft have already worn the bushings? I've read that Mallory will
not sell you replacement bushing or bearings as they want to rebuild the
unit.  Are there any alternative suggestions?

Do you guys leave the felt rubbing block in place on the points?  I have
them in place now, but I don't remember seeing a Lucas point set that uses
felt pads like that.  Maybe they are a good thing.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com