fot

[Fot] Lemon's TR6 scores a Grassroots Motorsports "Most from

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Lemon's TR6 scores a Grassroots Motorsports "Most from
From: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:06:51 -0500
Subject: FW: Lemon's this weekend

We raced out crap can TR6 in this past weekends "Hooptie" Lemon's race at
Eagles Canyon in north Texas and we won an AWARD! After the race we received
the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine "Most from the Least Award" for the best
finisher in the crappiest car. The Hooptie was not well attended due to the
Easter weekend thing. There were 40 or so cars, almost all of them Lemon's
veterans. These are the fast guys, serious Lemonheads. The TR6 was one of the
slowest cars there. Regardless, our dependability and consistency kept us on
the track and we hovered around the top 20 all weekend, and yes the car does
look crappy. You can't see the GoodParts in the suspension or the 1965 vintage
ADDCO swaybars through all the rust and decals.

Most of the drivers kept it clean and we only got three black flags all
weekend, two for spins (yes, one was me) and one towards the end of the
weekend when only the leaders (fast cars) were still on the track and they
decided to pull us in to tell us to go faster and/or get out of the way
better. We also had a couple of "hey your dragging something" flags when the
speedo cable came loose and later when someone left a set of arm restraints in
the car only to have them fall through the jacking hole....slowly enough that
a corner worker saw it happen. Does everyone have those rubber plugs disappear
like I do? I know, metal plates solve the problem......
Our car suffers from float bowl issues, stumbling badly coming out of turns,
worse on lefthanders. The poor old car handles so well that it is very
noticeable to the drivers that the stock engine, sputtering out of corners
really hurts laps times. The Strombergs are going to be tossed and we'll
replace them with some TR4 tested SU's for the future. We know how to work
with those float bowls. The Lucas alternator never did work but Joe Hovey
brought his "one wire" Geo Metro version from his race Spit and we enjoyed not
having to swap batteries on Sunday. Typically, as the weekend progressed the
clutch slave got a little pissy, if you know what I mean and shifting got
harder late in the day. Power seemed to be going down too, but we messed with
the timing "by ear" in a pit stop and probably got that wrong.

The North Texas crew, JoeHovey, Bill Collins and Ed Barnard did a fabulous job
for us. With 6 drivers, 3 crew, we had the event covered. They did a lot of
running around, handled the fueling ($4.00 a gallon gas runs quickly through a
TR6 at quasi race speeds), set tire pressures, bled brakes etc. They made the
weekend spectacular from the experience standpoint. They'll all be driving in
the Dec Lemon's race at Texas Motor Speedway, along with Bobby Whitehead, who
not only regaled us with his singing and guitar playing Saturday night he, the
Pawn Star of CVAR, sponsored much of the cost of this weekend for us. Bobby's
singing was so good that it drunks from all over the garage area were
wondering over to our pit.

Thank you's go out to the Sherlock Homeboyz, V.1 who built the car and V.2 for
a great weekend. Thanks to Tim Suddard for the nice plaque. We earned and
deserved it! We love the way Tim and his two magazines support Triumphs and
racing in general. It is quite an honor to take one of those home in a TR6,
and I hereby make you an honorary member of the Homeboyz (don't reject us,
please). I'd send it to you for your collection, but just pull one out of the
box and say I did, OK?

We got a little press, see the link below.

Bob Kramer
Texas Rental Manager
RDO Equipment Company
16415 N. IH 35  Pflugerville, TX 78660
512-687-7422 Office
512-657-8526 Cell

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn
out.
<http://walkthetalk.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8f89bce0be7e1813d8ad34
042&id=abf4a5c42b&e=7085705c50> ~John Wooden