fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire oil cooler orientation

To: "Don Marshall" <donmarshall@nefcom.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire oil cooler orientation
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:55:50 -0700
I've always done it that way. I suppose there could be a problem, but I've
never seen one. I'll tell you for sure that if there's an air bubble it's a
little one, when I drain the thing it always seems to have far more oil in it
than it should hold--especially if I don't get the drain pan in the right
place. I do, of course, make sure my oiling system is full by pre-running the
pump with a drill before I open the Accusump and start the motor for the first
time.

On Apr 30, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Don Marshall wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone has their oil cooler mounted with the openings at
> the bottom and if there have been any problems.  This is for a Spitfire
> with the 1147 engine.  As best I can tell it was raced most of its life
> with the oil cooler feeding from the bottom so I'm guessing that it won't
> be a problem but I thought I'd check with the group just in case.  From
> what I've read, there may be concerns about air getting trapped at the top
> of the cooler as well as the possibility of oil not making it all the way
> through and being less effective than it should.  Does anyone have any
> direct experience with this?  Thanks, Don
>
> --

Bill Babcock
billb@bnj.com
503.936.7660