fot

Re: [Fot] Small world, Sam Halkias,Little 500

To: <jason@multivintage.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Small world, Sam Halkias,Little 500
From: Sam Halkias <atr6racer@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 07:18:10 -0400
 Jason and all,

    I make no bones about my mentor in racing, Wedge Rafferty is the one that
got me into TR's and had I not met him I do not believe I would have ever got
into road racing. Wedge and his family took me in when I was in college at
BGSU in 1970. I worked part time at a American Gas station pumping gas and
fixing cars. Wedge was the dealer rep for American. He notice that I was
fixing all types of cars and asked me if I wanted to go to IRP and help him
race his Triumph. Immediately I thought we were going drag racing as I had
gone to the NHRA nationals  at IRP every fall. When I pulled into Wedge's
driveway there sat a school bus yellow TR4 with a roll cage, no windsheild,
big fat tires and flared fenders. I still thought we were going to drag race
it! Once we got to IRP Wedge unloaded the TR4 and fired it up and I think at
that moment I was hooked. When I discovered the road course I knew I had to
become a road racer. I helped Wedge for a couple of years and he helped me
with my first TR4. I owe allot to Wedge!

   Wedge mentored me for many years and he is a legend in road racing from Cam
Am to all sorts of road racing cars including 24 hours races. My first phone
call after the win at the runoffs was to Wedge. In fact my gold medal hangs on
a picture of my car in the rain at RA in a yellow school bus picture frame
that Wedge painted himself and sent to me after the race. I keep in touch with
him and he's still wrenching on cars! If you see him talk a look at his kit
car Catterham!

   Thanks for sharing your story Jason! The "Wedger" as we call him, is a true
hero to me!

Sam