fot

Re: [Fot] Oil Temp TR4 forcing me to cancel my trip to KAS cup

To: Mike Mehl <mike.mehl@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Oil Temp TR4 forcing me to cancel my trip to KAS cup
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 19:54:14 -0700
I'm not sure why you are concerned about this oil temperature, I'd consider it
pretty ideal. I thought I might be out of date with those ideas since they
come mostly from my motorcycle racing days, but I did a little googling. Most
of the oil manufacturers say that anything under 270 is acceptable for racing,
under 260F is good. The viscosity of modern oils drops a little from 210 to
260, but the precipitous drop is after 270. Some components of the oil also
start to break down at 270-280, but it's a relatively slow process. With the
frequency of oil changes that racers employ it's not really a problem. I
happened to be swapping email with a friend who races a Z06 in SCCA, she says
they're really happy with anything under 280 but often see 290 at the end of
tough races.

Of course it's your choice what you do with your car, but I think you're fine
for oil temperature--I'd be completely happy with 260 for oil temp in
Peyote--happens some times. Mostly it's 250 in long races on hot days and in
the spring and fall it's 220 and start thinking about duct tape. I don't
really think I need an oil cooler. Some day we'll probably yank it off and
save a few pounds and one more thing that can leak or fail.

On May 15, 2011, at 6:04 PM, Mike Mehl wrote:

> Bill
> I had a good talk with Tony at the track.  I am going to try ducting the oil
cooler and move it close to the front valance.  I did get a note from Kas
telling me they ran thoses temps all the time back in the day.  If ducting
takes the temp down 25 degrees I should be good.

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive