fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire Brake Caliper Failure

To: haretoday@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire Brake Caliper Failure
From: Jim Norlin <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:32:10 -0700
According to Patty, it actually wasn't all that scary.  It happened in
turn 7.  Apparently the caliper lugs broke under braking, but because of
the clamping force on the disk, didn't move until after the brakes were
released.  She heard a clunk between turns 7 & 8 and then slowed down
trying to figure out what it was.  She tried the brakes on the back
straight and since by this time only the rears were still working (the
adapter tube into the caliper twisted and broke, releasing fluid) she
slowly pulled into the pits.  I ordered a set of rebuilt Girlings from
TSI today.