fot

[Fot] 4 days to the next race with important TR4 oil pressure

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] 4 days to the next race with important TR4 oil pressure
From: "Jim Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 20:59:51 -0600
Fot,

I just assembled a new motor and have a question about oil pressure & oil
viscosity.

I started with Brad Penn 30 wt break in oil and have a new Steve Yott oil
pump.

I ran in the cam yesterday for 20m, retorqued the head and took it out for
some run ups to 3K & eventually 4K.

About 15 minutes of run time. Oil pressure was right up at 75 -80. Before I
could record any notes I smelled oil burning

but it was just a displaced valve cover gasket. Fixed it.

Today I took the oil filter off and cut it open and there was a minor bit of
sparkle in the oil. I have been told a bit is normal.

I decided to give it an oil change and filter at this point. I changed to
Brad Penn 10-30,

On start up at 2000 it was at 75-80lbs. Over a period of 15 minutes running
up to 4K and back down and settling at a short cruise

of 2000 -  2500 the pressure worked it's way down to 50 lbs. I repeated
several times, it would always climb to 80 under throttle

but fall off again to 50 at a 2K rpm cruise. It dropped to 40 around a
corner but ran right up to 75- 80 under throttle.

I decided that was enough & parked it. I had my rod and main journals sized
to .003 clearance.

The big question is, with those clearance am I running enough viscosity ?

Thanks for the input as always

Jim G
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com