fot

Re: [Fot] A V8 TR3

To: alfetta95@optonline.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] A V8 TR3
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:30:41 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 11/21/2011 6:09:55 PM Central Standard Time,
alfetta95@optonline.net writes:

> Thought this might be of interest to this fine group!

My driving instructor at my first racing school was a guy named Hal
Ullrich.  He was an ex-National Champion from the early mid 1950s.  I drove him
crazy because I rode the synchros when down shifting.  He and his brother Bill
owned and ran a 'Speed Shop' just north of Chicago.  They were heavily into
racing, but also catered to serious collectors.  While they took care of
some pretty exotic stuff, Hal told me that they handled lots of TR3s in those
early days as well.  Their customers had big name marques for the track, and
downstairs marques like TRIUMPH as daily drivers.  He said they put lots and
lots of Chevy V8 engines in TRIUMPH TR3s.  It was the rage on Chicago's
Gold Coast in those days.  That surprised me and I asked, "Where are they?  How
come they never surface for sale these days?"  Hal said, "Most of them got
wrapped around a tree."

Bill Dentinger

PS  The Ullrich brothers were bachelors, who lived and worked together all
of their lives.  Hal passed away 10-12 years ago.  I think Bill is still
alive.  He spent decades working on the development of an 'Ullrich' racing engin
e.  As far as I know, it never was finished, but whenever you ran into
Bill, the traditional opening line was, "Bill...how's your engine coming?"    .

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive