fot

Re: [Fot] VACUUM SYSTEM

To: "'sherry robyn'" <sherryjimmy6116@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] VACUUM SYSTEM
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 18:16:50 -0800
I'm not Joe, but maybe I can help out.  Here is the other photo, which
pretty much shows the entire system:
http://goo.gl/AZ9W6

The orange hose is high-temperature silicone, connected to the original (?)
vent at the rocker cover and to a reed valve (aka check valve) that is
welded into the exhaust header with the end protruding into the exhaust flow
and the cut side facing downstream.  The original road draft tube (if you
had one) is blanked off, as well as any other openings into the crankcase
(like the fill cap on my TR3).

The concept is that every exhaust pulse (cylinder firing) sucks air out of
the tube.  When it does, the reed valve opens and sucks air from the
silicone tube.  Thereby pulling a modest vacuum on the crankcase, which in
turn helps pull oil back through the rear main seal.

The big advantage, as I see it, is that the exhaust pulses get stronger at
full throttle, while the intake manifold vacuum (for the original PCV system
on later TRs) goes away entirely at full throttle.  This avoids the buildup
of pressure in the crankcase caused by the factory PCV systems, which tends
to blow oil out past the rear main seal (and everywhere else).

Here's a typical kit:
http://goo.gl/qfEsq

-- Randall
fot@autox.team.net