fot

Re: [Fot] Almost ready for Mitty, kind of almost

To: FOT<fot@autox.team.net>, "marty sukey"<trmarty@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Almost ready for Mitty, kind of almost
From: "jsiam1@earthlink.net"<jsiam1@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:18:34 -0700
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
My vote is for the ring gear.

Chequered Flag Joseph P Siam

-----Original message-----
From: marty sukey <trmarty@hotmail.com>
To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thu, Apr 19, 2012 18:25:46 PDT
Subject: [Fot] Almost ready for Mitty, kind of almost

Just finishing up the final touches of a 7 month restoration of the Spitfire
getting ready to head South next week. Down to the point of adjusting hood
stops and stupid stuff like that. Ok, now the hard stuff. I THINK I JUST
BLEW
THE ENGINE TONIGHT #$^%&!!.  Actually had it running in the driveway and it
was sounding fan frickin tastic, Playing with the carbs, timing, checking
for
leaks, all is right with the world. Backed it in the garage and blipped the
throttle one more time and WIDE OPEN THROTTLE! Frantically stomped the gas
one
time to see if it would free up. I know that is not what I should have done
first but in the spur of the moment that is what the brain told my body to
do.
Next reached up and killed the ignition.  Probably only ran for a second,
possibly two max but it seamed like an eternity. When I killed the engine
"something" continued to freewheel for about 3 to 5 seconds making metal
rubbing sounds. After gaining my composure I put a wrench on the crank and
it
appeared to turn free, no out of the ordinary feeling. So I guess I start
tearing into it after work tomorrow. Any idea what could have been
freewheeling after the engine stopped? At least from the drivers seat I
think
the engine stopped, I would not thing the entire assembly could have kept
spinning that long do you?  Oh, the cause, I did not have the transmission
tunnel cover attached, just sitting there in the car so when I blipped the
throttle the stop under the gas peddle hooked itself under the lip of the
cover. Note to self, don't ever do that again. Marty