fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 Valve spring - pressure, assembled height, suppliers

To: Tim Murphy <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 Valve spring - pressure, assembled height, suppliers
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 15:57:51 -0400
Cc: ryan.murphy@fdlco.wi.gov, fot@autox.team.net
On 5/8/2012 2:40 PM, Tim Murphy wrote:
> The machinist doing the work on our cylinder head tells me that we only have
> about 70 pounds of pressure on the seats.  He thinks this is pretty low, in
> his experience with other engines.  He also asked if I had the assembled
> height of the springs, i.e. how much compression when assembled to the head.
> He usually has this spec and shims the spring to obtain the specified
> height.  Lastly, the alloy retainers are pretty beat up and the origin of
> the springs are unknown and he thinks they look questionable.  Who are the
> suppliers of valve springs, retainers, keepers and spring seat hardened
> washers for racing purposes?

Tim, Isky has been one recommended source.  If you go that way, be sure
they have the matching retainers.  I ordered a set of their springs to
go with the 777 cam I was using, only to find that they wouldn't fit
standard TR retainers and they didn't have their own retainers in
stock.  But if I wanted to order 5K of them, I'd have been good to go.
Instead, I went to BFE and Ken fixed me up with his springs and
retainers - great combination.  Good man there.

BTW, I'm using 110# seat pressure.

jim

--
Jim Hassall