fot

[Fot] Kastner Cup 2012 race report part 2 of 2

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Kastner Cup 2012 race report part 2 of 2
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 22:44:45 -0500
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
Continued...

Sunday's race (scheduled for 4 but actually run at 5) saw fewer cars there but still a decent turn out. It was pretty hot by then. I was on the inside of the 3rd row again at the start with Randy and George in front of me. We had a bit of a faster start, and I didn't get as good of a start this time. I got passed by a TR-6 pretty quickly. He had more motor than me, but I was much quicker in the twisties. I hounded him for a lap and a half and he went too deep into turn 7 coming onto the back straight hurting his entry speed. I nailed the entry and was able to keep alongside him down the straight, outbraking him into the chicane at the end. I carried a ton of speed into the blind entry, downhill, flat out turn 12 (one of the great corners in motor racing) coming onto the front straight, stayed ahead going into the esses after the front straight and gapped out on him nicely. Unfortunately George Wright was just far enough ahead that I couldn't catch up with him and make it more interesting. But, I was keeping up with him and kept finding more speed in the corners.

On the social side, Thursday night we ordered in Sonny's barbeque and had pretty much the whole Triumph contingent together for it. I thought that was a great idea! Friday night, the track had a party - I went for a bit, but it was crowded, loud, had lines for everything so I left pretty quickly. I found the Triumph guys had been invited into the private tent for a Lotus 23 racer who had a Semi and motorhome, a crew of 5 or 6, a crew chief, a lovely wife, and a chef cooking fish and chips. They were the best fish and chips I think I've ever had. Since we were racing pretty early Saturday I didn't stay too late. Saturday night I skipped the track party and hung out with Henry, Mark and more of the east coast contingent - Bob Lang was there too. We had burgers on the grill, leftover barbeque chicken, a number of adult beverages and solved the world's problems (not sure I remember the solutions, though).

Kas was there, I saw Elliot Forbes Robinson at the track party, Bob Johns (original factory Sebring driver) was there, Bob Tullius was at the trophy presentation, Sam Halkias brought several cars - unfortunately they got dinged up pretty good. We had guys from both coasts, a TON of Triumph street car guys - folks driving and flying in. Awesome.

The atmosphere in the Triumph crew was great, and I had a blast. Road Atlanta is a fun track to drive and also a fun track to race head to head on (NOT the same thing). The blind entry to the esses and especially the blind entry at 90 or so heading onto the front straight - I'm guessing that I was doing 105 to 110 through the turn at the bottom of the hill going onto the front straight - are thrilling every time.

Tony Drews