fot

Re: [Fot] FGR at Road Atlanta (video exclusive)

To: "Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com" <Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] FGR at Road Atlanta (video exclusive)
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 20:00:27 -0500
Cc: triumph friends <fot@autox.team.net>
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
There are several fixes.
My key to even considering running the stock gearbox is my trick
clutch  (Tilton double disk 7.25)/ flywheel (custom) and larger throwout
bearing (modified TR6).
The best solution I suppose would be a full race setup... I saw a nice one
in Mike Munson's TR6, and Sam H's SCCA set-up is rather solid....But these
are very expensive gearboxes.
Next there are several 5 speed conversions available that work very well.
These are about 1/2 the price of a full race dog box. and give an extra
gear beyond stock.
Technically, neither of the above are legal for most period correct
preparations but people get away with it (and rightly so because the only
alternative is wasted $).
To be more toward legal (for most organizations) it would come down to a
TR4 or TR6 in which you can get away with super secret trick set of close
ratio gears... which I imagine is rather nice.
For now, I keep a fresh spare stock one all ready to go in my truck and
have learned to simply do a full rebuild every couple races to avoid
colossal failure.
For later... I've been doing some research and talking with some VIP and
will hopefully have something better soon.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
..