fot

Re: [Fot] silicone brake fluid

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] silicone brake fluid
From: Henry Morrison <dos_gusanos@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:08:13 -0600
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
I raced my TR3 with the original calipers with Silicone Brake fluid one time.
The Brakes on the 3 got real hot on a good day.  The silicone was vaporizing
to where most corners were "two pumpers"  I didn't brake on the cool down lap
and came up behind the line of cars pulling into the pits and I was in a panic
as I had no brakes, it took about 10 pumps and I did manage to stop without
having to scrub off speed on anyone's car.  I changed to something else, now
my favorite is Valvoline synthetic.  Compare the Boiling point numbers between
Silicone and anything else, Silicone is quite low.

The Army uses silicone in their trucks so that all those sitting in Germany
have brakes when the Rusky's attack.  Silicone doesn't absorb water so it
lasts a long time.

I use silicone in my Healey cause when I spill it it doesn't screw up the
paint and I don't drive it hard.

and that's all I have to say about that.

Cheers Henry Morrison