fot

Re: [Fot] Race fuel

To: SpiwakD@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Race fuel
From: Mike Jackson <grandwazoo@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 15:48:42 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
Dave,

I'm not fuels engineer but this topic came up on a FV list a couple of years
ago and a fuels engineer posted a long and informative article.

The really fundamental piece of info in that note was that the equation for
calculatine octane is a made up thing.  It is not based on basic units that we
all know an love.  Farther, he was very specific that the fomula for
calculating road car gas octane was not the same as that used for aircraft
fuel.  Consequently, you can not compare the two and make any real sense out of
it.

Aircraft engines are relatively low compression ratio machines so their need
for anti-knock additives is also pretty low.

He also stated that current av-gas "low lead" fuel has more lead in it than car
pump gas ever did.  I take that at face value and assume he wasnt making stuff
up.  So....lead content is good for your motor but the octane may not be if you
have a bunch of compression.  I use it in the FV motors but they have quite low
compression.

Also, the  formulation of the fuel is different in other ways.  If you splash
some car fuel on the concrete it'll take much longer for it to evaporate than
an equivalent amount of av-gas.  And, it feels much less oily to the touch.  I
use it for cleaning stuff that mineral spirits wont touch but that would be
harmed by lacquer thinner or acetone..like paint.

Mike