fot

Re: [Fot] A type overdrive problem

To: "'Bud Rolofson'" <levilevi@comcast.net>, "'Bob Bownes - Seiri'" <bownes@seiri.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] A type overdrive problem
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 17:13:36 -0500
Cc: 'FOT List' <fot@autox.team.net>
I'm assuming that when you tested the solenoid on a separate battery you
were putting the 12 volts to the bullet connector and the ground or negative
battery terminal to the case of the solenoid.  That being the case, the
bullet connector to the soldered connection on the solenoid appears to be
good.

Using alligator clips, connect the positive or red lead of the voltmeter to
the bullet connector on the solenoid wire and the negative or black lead of
the voltmeter to the negative terminal of the battery (Ground).   Now flip
the OD switch to "ON".  If there is a low voltage at the solenoid it is due
to high resistance, such as bad contacts in the relay, between the solenoid
and the positive terminal of the battery.  The voltage is being dropped
across the high resistance with very little current and you are getting low
voltage at the solenoid.

If when you flip the OD switch to "ON" and get 12 volts at the solenoid but
it does not "pick up" or energize, you have an open ground circuit between
the solenoid and the negative battery terminal and no current flowing the
solenoid.

Seeing as how you have tried 2 different solenoids it would seem unlikely to
have 2 with intermittent ground contact inside the solenoid itself.

Tim