fot

[Fot] Fwd: Vintage Production Car Transmissions

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net> reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0
Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Vintage Production Car Transmissions
From: John Hasty <jhhasty@gdhs.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:50:57 -0400
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: John Hasty <jhhasty@gdhs.com>
> Date: October 12, 2012 8:46:09 PM EDT
> To: "Snowdonracing@aol.com" <Snowdonracing@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: Vintage Production Car Transmissions
>
> Thanks Ray. I know that is what the  G3 rules say; but the special rules for
TR3's states original transmissions. So the rules say one thing under G3 and
another under TR3-4.  How are we to know which one is correct?

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 12, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Snowdonracing@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>>     Thanks for the note and sorry you are having issues.  There is a
substitution rule in the Group 3 Supplementals already.  It states:
>> "Standard gearbox may be replaced with an alternate PRODUCTION BASED
GEARBOX of the same number of forward speeds.  ADD 75LBS. TO OFFICIAL WEIGHT.
When replacing a 4-speed w/overdrive unit with a 5-speed, the 5th gear must be
lower numerically than 1 : 1."
>> If a non-standard gearbox is being used, it must be declared on the RCIS
sheet for the vehicle.
>> Your Triumph, TR3, lists a 4-speed with Laycock overdrive optional.  That
means 5 forward speeds.
>> So, the rules are already there.  Cars that were never equipped with
overdrive, or as an option, must continue to keep their original number of
forward speeds.
>> The number of forward speeds is something that we will be checking on for
2013 as we step up on rules enforcement.
>> I hope this answers your questions.
>> Ray
>>
>> In a message dated 10/12/2012 1:15:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jhhasty@gdhs.com writes:
>> Ray:
>>     As our Triumphs, MGs, Morgans, Elvas etc. get even older than they
>> already are, a number of us are having transmission problems with the
>> original gear boxes which are causing frequent costly repairs and I
>> understand that MGs are also having source problems as well.  While I
>> understand the spirit of the rules and try to keep my TR within them,
>> reliability and the cost of fixing old "stuff" is becoming a problem which
>> may well keep some of us from participating in as many events as we might
>> otherwise like.  For instance I just spent $730 to go through my TR box
and
>> after the Gold Cup, it feels like it needs it again.  It may well be time
>> consider, in the interest of safety and reliability, allowing these cars
>> use the readily available GM and Toyota 5 speed transmission conversions.
>> note also, that 4 speeds vs. 5 speeds is not a problem in as much as these
>> old English cars had overdrive units available which, like my car, give
you
>> an effective 5 speed unit.
>>     I would also note that there are already some cars using these
>> conversions and there should be a "level playing field" approach
considered
>> as well.  Please give some thought to this with your Tech staff .  I look
>> forward to your response....
>>
>> John H. Hasty  SVRA # 8326
>> Attorney At Law
>> Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
>> 719 East Boulevard
>> Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
>> Tele: (704) 372-5600
>> Fax: (704) 372-4601
>> E-mail: jhhasty@gdhs.com
>> www.gdhs.com
>>
>> PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments)
is