fot

Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion
From: Bill Babcock <ponobill@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:08:33 -0700
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph' <fot@autox.team.net>
Gee, maybe I shouldn't have flung all those Lucas dizzies with my catapult.

We do know that Mallory's come apart every so often. The stops break off and
the weights mill the insides. If you're running points all that aluminum dust
ends your race, while if you have a pertronix, it doesn't.
On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:01 AM, Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com> wrote:

> I had an informative talk with Jeff at Advanced Distributors this morning.
He recommended a 45D Lucas with a 25D shaft assembly, cuz the larger diameter
of the 45 cap eliminates cross-fire issues.  He balances the assembly, puts in
a full length shaft bushing, and makes some other improvements.  He uses a
high quality cap with added ribbing, and says it does not flex, fits tightly
and does not have the problems of most replacement caps available.  He also
supplies rotors (red) made for him.  He says he can run the single points
set-up to 10,000 rpm on his machine without scatter.  My unit will be set up
with advance of 18 degrees at idle (1500 rpm) going to full advance by 3000
rpm.

> Of interest to me was the comments he had about Mallory, which is what I
have in the GT6.  He was very critical of the light springs, which he said
stretch and cause scatter at all rpms.  The shaft bushings don't last, and the
plastic bushings on the centrifugal weights don't last either.  He indicated
that these units ought to rebuilt once a year, but stay in spec for only a few
months, and doesn't recommend them for that reason.  I mentioned that
inserting the Unilite electronic module in mine seemed to have cured the
scatter I saw with a timing light, and he responded that the electronic unit
masks the scatter from poor bushings, but it's still there.  He will rebuild
these, but says it's not cost-effective in the long run.

> So, there's a modified Lucas 45 on the way for the TR4, with points for now,
at a very reasonable price.  He doesn't need cores at this point - has 1500 on
hand.