fot

[Fot] Racing a TR3 A Type Overdrive

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Racing a TR3 A Type Overdrive
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:28:56 -0500 (EST)
Cc: HRPTR3@aol.com
Full-name: Catpusher
Racing a TR3 A Type Overdrive
Please see what you can find in the archives.
For many years the TR3 was one of a very few cars  not allowed alternate
gearbox ratios in SCCA E Production. Using second gear  overdrive was
essential with a full race motor to bridge the gap between  2nd and 3rd. I
spent
thousands of hours studying and  modifying the OD. Running a pressure gauge
during events is necessary, as is not  allowing it to leak on the driver. The
gauge will show when the solenoid is out  of adjustment, and most critically,
when there is a running pressure drop. If  the accumulator piston does not
reach the blow off holes, that oil no longer  gets to several parts. The
specks for the accumulator bore are very tight, and  honing to remove the steel
piston ring scratches will only work a few times. The  TR4A IRS/TR6 piston,
sleeve, and spring provide a much lower volume and  pressure, but a
replaceable sleeve is a good idea. Much research about piston  displacement and
pressure pointed me towards a Jaguar sedan assembly that was  NLS, but JRT,
with the help of a UK Jaguar club, provided a few sets of piston  and sleeves,
and I also located the matching springs. I did find it necessary to  run an
oil cooling system with an electric pump and MGC auto gearbox cooler, all
set low enough that it would not flow back into the gearbox during the early
laps before the pump was turned on. Keep in mind that I was running slicks
and  often ran where the track temps were high.
TR Regards, Hardy