fot

[Fot] I have piston shrinkage

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] I have piston shrinkage
From: "Jim Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 19:37:35 -0700
FoT

Tonight I was reminded of the reason you don't measure stuff in the cold. In
a hurry

to use my new measuring tools I shot straight out to the garage and started
my post season

measurements after the teardown. My pistons & liners look great so I was
expecting everything to be

well in spec with about 15 hours on them. I was horrified when I was coming
up with a

consistent .008 -.009 clearance. I measured the surface temp of the pistons
at 59 -60 degrees.

So I boiled some water and soaked the pistons for a few minutes. They came
out at 92 degrees.

The pistons grew .004" and puts them right in spec. That's a lot of growth
at a 32 degree increase in temp.

The liners measured out the first time within .001 of spec for the most part
at 60 degrees.

jim g