fot

Re: [Fot] TR8 direction

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR8 direction
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:27:37 -0500
Shawn, thanks for starting this discussion. We campaigned some of the
most successful Wedge cars in the USA.  Competing in SCCA, our TR8 won
many SCCA Nationals, always picked to win the SCCA Run-off's (it didn't,
but my fault, not car's fault - details if anyone wants them).  Held
multiple track records and very successful in the Playboy and Escort
Endurance series, often beating factory backed cars from Ford, Chrysler,
GM, Nissan, Mitsubishi and others. Along with the TR8, we also
campaigned a TR7 in the Endurance series.  While not as fast as the V8,
the TR7 held its own in class due to excellent handling and incredibly
good fuel mileage.  We developed many of the performance parts for these
cars including brake upgrades, sway bars, springs, strut tower braces,
headers and more.  Coupes are far superior to roadsters, both it terms
of structural integrity and top speed. Side by side testing at Road
Atlanta showed several hundred rpm greater speed (both cars had same
trans and diff gears).  This was on the original Road Atlanta back
straight before they turned it into the current"neutered" version (read
this no dip at end of straight) Remember if it is a roadster, it has to
race with top down.  We also supplied data to Edlebrock when they
designed the 4V intake manifold for this engine. Our normal street V8 in
3.5L form is 250hp.  Over 320 hp for the larger displacement 4.0/4.6L
engines.  Rust issues at the strut tower to inner fender well junction
and where the rear lower trailing arms attach to the sheet metal are the
biggest problems. Patching a rusted fender is not a big deal. Remember
this is a uni-body car so things are different from racing a car with a
frame.  Rover/TR8 engine is far superior to it's Buick ancestor. We
normally have 30 - 40 V8 engines in stock. HP figures for TR7 are 130 -
40 with no major "engine life threatening mods.
Yes, John Clancy has a good DVD on the car - "Code name Bullet". And all
his videos are still on sale for $21 w/shipping through the first of the
year. Let's hear it for the "flying doorstops". Ted

--
Ted Schumacher
tedtsimx@bright.net