fot

[Fot] Spitfire 1300 Large Bearing Crank - Small Bearing Crank?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, "'Bud R'" <levilevi@comcast.net>
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire 1300 Large Bearing Crank - Small Bearing Crank?
From: "Spitfire Racing" <Spitfire_Racing@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:45:41 -0500
The size of the crank pulley is larger on the later Spit (large crank) as is
the securing nut. The easiest way is to look at the engine number. The small
crank engines were all FD or FE prefix while the large crank 1296 engines
were FK. The 1500 engines were FM prefix. These appear on a tab of casting
on the left rear of the block where it meets with the head. Just to make it
interesting, the 1147 engine can have it's crank used in a small crank 1296
(FE or FD) by installing a speedy sleeve on the sealing area in the rear.

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49