fot

[Fot] Sportscar 71.2 February 2013...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Sportscar 71.2 February 2013...
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:23:41 -0500 (EST)
Full-name: BillDentin
Amici...

SCCA's current issue of SPORTSCAR has items of  potential interest.

The obits for John Fitch, Lanky Foushee, and Bob Youngdahl on pages 64 and
65.  Of course Fitch and Foushee are icons and need no highlight here, but
many of us ought to have also known SCCA and vintage racer Bob Youngdahl.
Bob usually raced a fast Elva Courier, but had a barn full of cars.  While a
Minnesota native, he also raced on the national scene, especially in Florida,
where he had a winter home.  His death was particularly sad because it was
neither natural nor racing.  He was killed unloading his race trailer (hit
in the head by the ramp door).  I have long been a believer that dealing with
towing  and trailers is every bit as dangerous as the racing (loading,
unloading, changing tires roadside, etc.) we do.  There is often a tendency for
us to take short cuts or skip safe practice when dealing with tasks that we
do over and over again.  This especially true when we are alone.  Be
careful!

Finally, glance at page 86 (last page) and the SCCA 'ROOTS' section.  There
is a black and white picture from the 1983 issue of SPORTSCAR showing what
appears to be a very nice TR4A race car covered with snow.  There's a racer
standing along side in his driver's suit and balaclava...staring up at the
sky.  No identification info in the caption.  Ironically the SCCA decal is
displayed upside down on the car (probably something done on purpose in case
of a roll over), but that seems to be what the SCCA was preoccupied with.  At
the time their caption was "It's not nice to fool with your SCCA
sticker..."   Anyone have any idea who that might be back in 1983?  Seems like
we
ought to know him.  The racer's name is listed on the door, but I can't make it
out.

Bill Dentinger
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com